There are three basic types of need-based aid


Grants and Scholarships
These do not need to be repaid. We discuss grants and scholarships further on a different web page.
Work Study
This allows students to work weekly during the school year to earn money to help pay for school.
Students will have to repay their loans but interest rates for students loans are often lower and payments are usually deferred until after the student has completed college.



Types of Financial Aid
There are two different types of loans:
Subsidized Stafford Loan and Unsubsidized Stafford Loan
​What is the difference? 
Both loans are federally guaranteed, but with a subsidized Stafford loan the federal government pays the interest while you are enrolled in school at least half-time or during other approved deferment periods. An unsubsidized loan is similar but the student begins paying on the interest as soon as the loan is disbursed.

What is FASFA?

FAFSA is your application for TOPS. Everyone should apply for financial aid. FAFSA (The Free Application for Federal Student Aid) is the primary document that determines eligibility for need-based financial aid. There are many different factors that determine financial aid eligibility. Assets and family income are not the only determining factors. FAFSA needs to be completed every year after January 1st. The sooner you fill this out, the better chance you have of receiving aid. The best way to fill out FAFSA is on the web - If you fill out FAFSA on the web you will be required to complete the application with a PIN (Personal Identification Number). It can take up to five days to receive your PIN. It is important to keep your PIN, you will use this every year when filling out FAFSA. 

How do I apply for Financial Aid?

1. Apply for a PIN at
2. Gather all documents needed to apply for financial aid. A full list of what you need can be found on . If your tax return is not completed at the time you apply you can estimate the tax information and correct it at a later date.
3. Complete FAFSA between Jan. 1st and June 30th (no exceptions to either date). Applying online is faster and easier .
4. Federal Student Aid will send you a Student Aid Report (SAR). This is a summary of the information from your FAFSA. You need to review your SAR and if necessary, make changes and/or corrections. Your completed SAR will contain your Expected Family Contribution (EFC). The EFC is the number used to determine your federal student aid eligibility.
5. Contact the college financial aid office  and make sure they have received all of your information.  If you have further questions, call the financial aid office at 1-800-433-3243.